Events & Promotions
Events & Promotions
FAA Approves Fast-Track Associate Degree to Meet Critical Shortage of Airline Pilots
American Winds has received approval from the Federal Aviation Administration to allow students to be hired by the airlines with reduced flight hours of 1,250 hours. The critical shortage of airline pilots in the U.S. prompted regulators and the aviation industry to re-evaluate the requirements. Pilots with a Bachelor’s Degree may be hired with 1,000 hours; those with an Associate Degree may be hired with 1,250 hours and non-degreed pilots with 1,500 hours.
“Simply graduating from a two-year or four-year aviation program does not automatically make a pilot eligible,” said Denise Hobart, chief flight instructor for American Winds College of Aeronautics. “American Winds underwent a rigorous FAA certification process to qualify for the R-ATP. Our students must complete the majority of total flight experience while enrolled in our Associate Degree of Applied Science in Aeronautics.”
Hobart explained that pilot hiring has always been market driven, and historically, pilots have been required to possess minimum experience close to the ATP requirements to be competitive for pilot positions.
“Commercial airlines prefer hiring students with a degree over someone without a degree,” she said. “Our Associate Degree program, which may be completed in as little as 15 months, is the fastest route to a career in aviation. Our aim is to meet the growing demand for commercial pilots through our comprehensive training program, internship courses and professional programs, as well as career employment assistance after graduation.”
Sporty’s EEA Young Eagles
Sporty’s, the world’s largest pilot shop and a flight training facility, is offering FREE access to its online course to help you prepare for your first flight. Upon completion of the online course, you will receive a voucher which entitles you to one 30-minute introductory flight* at American Winds. To learn more about the EAA Young Eagles program through Sporty’s and to create your log in for the FREE online course, click here.
Click here for more information about American Winds and our flight training courses/programs, call 330-733-2500 or e-mail admissions@TeachMeToFly.com.
*American Winds Terms & Conditions
- Includes pilot time, headset rental and fuel surcharge.
- Available for students up to age 17; students age 13 or younger must be accompanied on the flight by a parent or legal guardian – additional $30 passenger fee applies.
- Intro Flights are weather permitting.
- Passenger height and weight restrictions may apply; cannot exceed weight/balance regulations. If aircraft upgrade required, additional fees may apply.
Drone Pilot Ground School Course - Aug. 4-5, 2018
Two-day course with FAA-Certified Instructors covers the following topics to assist you in preparing for the FAA Part 107 UAS Aeronautical Knowledge Test:
- Federal Aviation regulations
- Aerodynamics and Aircraft Operations
- Maintenance and preflight inspection procedures
- Small unmanned aircraft loading and performance
- Emergency procedures
- Crew resource management
- Determining the performance of small unmanned aircraft
- Aeronautical Information Manual
- Aeronautical Decision Making
- Aircraft Performance
- Weather Theory
- Weather Reports and Forecasts
Price includes: instructional binder, FAA sectional map, and FAR AIM guide.